Monday 13 April 2020

Welcome to the House of Fun

A peek inside my greenhouse on a sunny afternoon. 

 Flowers on one side



Tomatoes and chillies on the other


Chilli

Tomato

All the alliums and other hardy veg has been moved to the path outdoors.  And here is an unheated propagator with spring salads that  gets the lid popped back on at night.



Everything is labelled


Up above I am delighted with the progress of my basil seedlings!



Living in Scotland I might be a bit rash growing frost sensitive plants so early in the year.  The other side of the coin is that the short growing season means you have to make an early start to stand a chance of a harvest.  It looks like this year I have got away with it.  Tonight the temperature is set to drop to one or two degrees and I will be dragging everything I can fit into the greenhouse, shed and coal cellar for the last time.  (The greenhouse gets the benefit of a paraffin heater if  there is a threat of frost.) After that the minimum night temperature is set to be no lower than 4 degrees C until the end of the month.  I will, of course be checking the forecasters  don't change their prediction, but it looks like everything will left in the same place day and night hereafter. Just as well as there are more seedlings indoors under lights waiting to be pricked out.


Cucumbers at the back
Less worry - more fun.





8 comments:

  1. Sigh. I'm envious. I guess that's how you get so far ahead of me. I just wait until the nights remain above 55F to plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am envious - 50F is the highest midsummer Edinburgh night time temperature!

      Delete
  2. Wow... lots of seedlings there. I miss my seedling patch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year is exceptional as I am housing the school seedlings (while it is shut) as well as my own.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. If the temperatures hold up it will all be worth it.

      Delete
  4. I'd best be making a start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know from previous years that you will overtake me!

      Delete