Tuesday 21 April 2020

Read All About It



Today I am extolling the virtues of good old fashioned newspaper. It makes for great seedling pots -with the use of this press.   I have tried plastic cells, coir pellets, toilet rolls and have ordered non woven seedling bags.  This last has failed to arrive, what with the lockdown disruption, which is what prompted me to deploy the now rather old fashioned newspaper press. It requires a bit of experimentation to get optimal results. To start I was using far too much paper. But once you have one good pot you can soon have one hundred.




This size is ideal for starting off anything you can get as a plug plant but I tend to use them for pricking out seedlings that are destined for the vegetable patch or tubs, particularly now that I have taken up the challenge of stocking up the school flower beds and playground tubs. 



 


4 comments:

  1. Hey! I used to make those! Just wrapped a folded half sheet around my hand and then smashed the bottom down tight. Held pretty well. But best of all, they were disposable or compost-able.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I going to experiment with a food can for larger pots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea but I'd have to start buying newspapers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up the free paper on my last supermarket shop. Property guides are excellent!

      Delete