Friday 10 April 2020

Keeping Up Appearances



Here's the traditional Good Friday bake.  Who would have thought that it might have been at risk with the run on flour of late. Looking back over the years the last time there was a problem was in 2016 when our cooker broke.

Another Good Friday tradition is planting potatoes.  Three out or 4 nets have been planted already so I am ahead of the game.  I am holding off on the last one as  I have crops still to harvest (leeks and chard).  You have to think well ahead to avoid these conflicts.  In another area the carrot patch has followed on from the brassicas.  Kale and Purple Sprouting Broccoli are being cropped and uprooted all in one operation so that the ground can be prepared for the new crop.  Note to self: It helps if these late croppers are all grown at one end of the brassica patch.





7 comments:

  1. Those buns do look delicious! I'm very partial to toasted hot cross buns but the rest of the family are indifferent so I don't make them. Instead I made waffles this morning (and felt guilty about using up two of my eggs to do so!) I've yet to plant out my potatoes. I'm only growing a few as I have a small plot but you've prompted me to get them in the ground today! Hot weather is promised for the weekend which I slightly dread as it will mean lots of watering for new seedlings and asparagus! Wishing you a good Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asparagus? Now I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking buns, Mal. Easter passes by unnoticed here where Spring Break seems to be celebrated more these days. How is it in Edinburgh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is going to be a bit different this year with all churches shut. Easter egg rolling is definitely off the menu!

      Delete
  4. Still can't buy flour or yeast so I'm saving all the flour we have for bread making. We've planted our first early potatoes but main crop still to go in. Our purple sprouting broccoli is just about finished but it's done really well this year. Have a good Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you made me some without candied peel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did add candied peel and I did feel guilty for doing so. No chance of delivering them this year!

    ReplyDelete