Tuesday 28 July 2020

Teasing Teasel

Here's a spectacular wild flower that is at it's best around now: Teasel


Later in the year the dried flower head is still impressive and the seeds are much appreciated by goldfinches in particular.


It is another tall plant



One interesting feature is the way the leaves merge to form a water retaining cup around the stem as in the next two photos.


The water is said to have rejuvenating qualities when applied to skin. It has been called "The Bath of Venus".  There is also the suggestion that it is a trap for insects - which implies this is a partially carnivorous plant. Certainly it fairs well in drought conditions.


It is very architectural


The flower head,  the leaves and the stems are all demand respect as they are very prickly.


A poultice of the root is claimed to relieve muscle pain, but the notable part of this plant is the dry head which was used on an industrial scale for carding.  That is the process of 'teasing' rough wool into long strands suitable for spinning into yarn and gives the plant its name. 



The height of the plant and the strength of the stem mean that it is very good at self seeding.  I have been amazed to see how resilient it is standing solitary in gale force winds. This serves to dislodge and carry away any remaining seeds which germinate in the soil downwind.  A pleasing and functional design. Even in the vegetable patch we always tolerate a few,  where they are least obstructive.


4 comments:

  1. I once made the mistake of growing some teasel on the allotment. They threatened plot domination. Now I admire from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never sown teasel, only tolerated it, but if I did I would probably choose the windward end of the allotment.

      Delete
  2. Ohh how I hate teasels. They invaded my garden few years back and I haven't been able to get rid of them since. At least the small plants don't have thorns like on Plume thistle. Each year my hands are bloody and full of thorns while I try to pull them out, and year after year they win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see I won't persuade you. But at least the seedlings are distinctive and not thorny. I did once sow a wildflower mix in my garden. The yarrow was a problem for the first few years but the real winner was herb-Robert which has persisted for over a decade since!

      Delete