Thursday 16 July 2020

Berry Berry


Be they red, blue, black or green the berries are most welcome at this time of year.

Black?  The blackcurrants seem to be enjoying a bumper year.  What surprised me was that the fruit appeared from tip to toe of each branch.  Here is a picture taken at ground level:


The reason for my surprise was that I have always understood that you want to encourage new growth from ground level with blackcurrants and prune accordingly.  The newer plant (set out in November 2018) didn't yield half as much as the older plants like this one, which also had larger berries.  Have I misunderstood the advice I wonder?





3 comments:

  1. Berry, berry, quite contrary
    How does your garden grow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That top photo is great, lovely colourful fruit! It certainly seems to have been a good year for berries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that blackcurrants grow best on two to three year old wood and you should prune out old wood which I keep meaning to do but don’t seem to get round to.

    ReplyDelete