Wednesday 29 August 2018

Tomatoes - Breaking Up to Making Up

It's a bit early to give up on ripening tomatoes, but these ones grown in a growbag with a flimsy plastic canopy got the chop.



Not from me but from the weight of fruit and the blustery wind.  The stalk just snapped.

Broken Stump


To make the best of it I made up some of our favourite Green Tomato Chutney.



So not  a complete disaster after all.  I should add that these were Gardeners Delight but we also have 5 Sungold plants, grown from seed, already producing a steady supply of ripe red (actually orange) cherry tomatoes.







2 comments:

  1. I've had some problems of a similar nature with my bigger varieties of tomato - the crop is too heavy for the plants to support! This is one reason why I often pick the big toms as soon as they show some colour, and ripen them indoors. I don't think they are any less good than ones 100% ripened on the vine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sungold must be one of the most popular tomatoes and rightly so.

    ReplyDelete