Saturday 18 November 2017

Corn Stripper



Corn Patch Former Glory


A Mixed Bunch


Given that it is November and we have frosty nights it is time to accept that the sweetcorn harvest time has arrived.  Then comes the process of saving the edible part of the crop.








I've used what Lakeland call their Corn Stripper.  It looks like a computer mouse (remember them?)




The underside houses the cutting edge.




Running the device along the length of each cob strips the kernels into the chamber above which can then be emptied into a freeezer bag.


If you have, as recommended, blanched the cobs in boiling water the whole process is still fraught with hazard. Disposable gloves are recommended both for hygiene and some protection from heat!


Debris from the Corn and Courgettes
Music maestro please:







4 comments:

  1. We still use some mice!
    Your sweet corn are late aren’t they?
    I”m afraid we never blanch anything, too time consuming, steamy and faffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As with tomatoes, growing sweetcorn in Scotland is an activity conducted for the challenge rather than the eating! Besides I find with my rotation there is spare room in the cucurbit patch for them. I leave the cobs to mature as long as I dare. It is not as sweet as the tinned "niblets" but a lot more satisfying to eat. Not blanching is probably a good move if they are not being kept long term.

      Delete
  2. I amazed you still had sweetcorn to harvest! We didn't bother blanching and the corn stripper worked ok for us, but we didn't freeze the kernels
    Great music choice! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was your tip off about the stripper - thanks! (I was going to christen it Patricia, but that would be daft) I wouldn't use it if I wasn't bulk processing. The crop was about 20 usable cobs.

      Delete