Monday 20 November 2017

Clamping Down on Carrots


It has been a good year for carrots. So much so that, despite chomping away on them as fast as rabbits, half the crop is still in the ground.  So rather than moving the mountain I have revived an old idea with a new twist.  Harvested root crops in the past have been stored in clamps: put in a pit, covered with straw and then earth, to protect from frost.  Having the thrip netting in place already it occurred to me that, duvet style, the straw could float above the undug carrots for warmth.  It is not going to blow away because the net is retaining it.

To recap we sowed a double tunnel of carrots this year, only lifting the netting for thinning and weeding on two occasions



By September it was clear they were growing away well


The netting kept off the root fly and the roots were happy just with the normal Edinburgh steady rainfall,



I have every hope that with this blanket of protection we will be eating our own carrots right up until next spring even if it turns cold and icy.



3 comments:

  1. I am seriously envious of your carrots, we will miss having a good crop this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Covering with straw has worked well for us in the past. This year’s crop aren’t worth protecting. Yours look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sue and Martyn. Your encouragement is always valued, and given your weather you have had an amazing harvest.

    As for reasons I can't decide between the following justifications:

    Well after 30 years growing veg I had to get carrots it right once!

    Last year's crop was so bad I had to do something about my carrots.

    Some years are good for some things (and other years are no good whatever you do).

    Didn't I tell you I gave up my day job last year. Now I have to grow edible food!

    Take your pick

    ReplyDelete