Monday 19 April 2021

Let's Get On With The Show

 

Looking at my recent posts you wouldn't think I was interested in gardening.  To dispel that, here is the current state of play.  As you can see these are outdoors during the daytime at least. Others have progressed from indoors to the protection of the greenhouse, newly vacated by hardier plants

Some other greenhouse crops are still in the dark on lower shelves of the greenhouse.  Once they sprout they will be turfed outside too.


I had not reckoned on the protracted period of cold nights when I started sowing, but so far there have been no frost victims



And in case you are wondering I decided to have a go at growing onions and shallots from seed as well as the usual leeks.  Early brassicas and some flowers (e,g, lobelia, marigolds and rudbeckia) also feature. After a long stint in the home nursery thank goodness I can soon move them on to the open garden, school and allotment. 




7 comments:

  1. No casualties wow! It’s like a military operation, moving things about and deciding what you can risk planting out. The weather always seems to throw something to thwart us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mention the greenhouse paraffin heater. I might need it again tomorrow night!

      Delete
  2. Your seedlings look very healthy despite the cold weather. It seems spring decided to avoid Europe this year. It's so unbelievably cold here that even the forest trees are still dormant, only maples have small leaves. It's like we're stuck in February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are spoilt in Edinburgh being near the sea. Your conditions are much harsher, as I have seen on your blog.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Mal, my past two comments aren't showing up on your blog. I don't know why. I wanted to comment on kohlrabi mentioned in another blog I saw on your site.

    Kohlrabi is the one of the best of the cole root crops to my taste. It is especially good thinly sliced raw or cubed in stew. I think it may become trendy here like cauliflower. I can buy it from my local health food store. But the leaves are very sad looking most of the time. However there is a cure for that. You can cut off the top of the bulb and stick it in some water and new leaves will grow. It is these new leaves that grow out from the the center that taste so good. An all around excellent if unknown vegetable. I need to wait and see what Ana says.

    It should grow very well in your territory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. After getting targeted by spammers I have reluctantly turned on comment moderation. This means you have to wait for me to wake up and approve before your comments appear here. While this is off-putting rest assured that I do really appreciate all the comments I receive and yours are always interesting and highly relevant. I don't have any comments currently awaiting moderation.

      And yes, kohlrabi has been a revelation!

      Delete
  4. Wow, look at that lot! You have been busy.
    Great song, I saw a Guy Garvey programme on tv the other night and enjoyed seeing Marc Bolan on there. He was my sister’s favourite

    ReplyDelete