Monday 7 September 2020

Viva Sempervivum






 I was given the challenge of growing 30 living gifts to be ready by the end of the school year and Sempervivum or Hen and Chicks sprung to mind.  We bought a single red specimen a couple of years ago and it had proved it's worth by producing plenty "chick" offsets.  These grew to have chicks of their own. I also sowed some from seed early this year to bring up the numbers. I was  well please with the vegetative expansion but there was also a fireworks display still to come from the parent plants.








 Emerging like rockets from each rosette these are the final hurrah of a multi faceted plant.



Credit must go to Rachel The Gardener for prompting me into action in defence of the lowly plant!

I should also mention that  even after the covid interruption these plants hung on with minimal intervention to be distributed on the return to school. By all accounts they were well received by the children.








5 comments:

  1. Hopefully the children will look after them. In the past I’ve done a similar thing with Busy Lizzies or begonias but I ought batches of seedlings that the children pricked out and looked after in school until the holiday and time to leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Similarly children in the school garden group sowed seeds back in March which are now flowering in the 10 playground tubs (Lobelia most successfully)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful flower! I expanded it and saw fringes, arrows and balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked that. Not many of my pictures stand up to such close scrutiny!

      Delete
  3. Aren’t they great! I love to see these and to hear a bit of Coldplay 👍

    ReplyDelete