Wednesday 30 September 2020

Pumpkins on Parade

 Well winter squashes actually.  Here's this year's allotment crop



The long yellow ones should be Butternut F1 Hunter, but I think there must have been a mix up with the crossing as these look more like Banana Squash or even Spaghetti Squash.  I will report once it has been cut open and cooked.


Not sure whether this is Blue Uchi Kuri or Crown Prince.  That will teach me to grow such similar varieties.



Size isn't everything - These cheeky Uchiki Kuri are perfectly sized and one was the first to go under the knife


Very sweet and tasty it was too!





5 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! To me there is nothing prettier than a bouquet of winter squash. My favorite is one called ButterCUP. Hard to get. The one I ordered from the store yesterday was Kabocha. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kabocha is what started the whole winter squash epic for me. When my daughter returned from a spell in Hokkaido Japan she asked me to grow "Kabocha" as they weren't available here. I was soon grappling with the naming confusions.

      Delete
  2. We haven’t tasted Uchiki Kuri yet so now I am looking forward to it. The unknown squash looks to.be the wrong shape for a Crown Prince.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are, I think, in for a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant, I love these squash photos. Such great colours and such a useful vegetable to grow. Next year...

    ReplyDelete