Wednesday 21 February 2018

Champing At The Bit?


 The prospect of an impending mini ice age has warned me off  sowing anything new.  (I have already filled up my propagator and there won't be anywhere to house the burgeoning tomatoes, peppers, leeks as my greenhouse is unheated).  To cheer myself up, and to use up some of my rye starter, I have made Rye Crispbreads for the first time.  The hole in the middle is indicative of the original storage technique for these Scandinavian staples. I won't be threading them though.  They stack up nicely anyhow.


I did go to the plot yesterday and pick some greens - and a goodly amount of carrots too.  I also barrowed and dug manure into the pea and bean patch, walking across the new brassica patch to compact the ground in the process.   One school of thought is that you should never compact ground where you want to grow vegetables, but I make an exception for brassicas which can disappoint in loose soil.



Once the promised cold snap has passed I can contemplate getting started on this year's sowing in earnest.  In the meantime I'll champ on crispbreads.



1 comment:

  1. I'm not looking forward to the cold weather. I'd say it was a threat rather than a promise though

    ReplyDelete