Sunday 13 November 2016

Green Tomato Chutney Time

It's time to admit defeat on the tomato front and get chutneying.


That's not to say we don't like green tomato chutney, which is a winter staple in our house - and the shops don't sell green tomatoes!





For the record here was the state of play  in the greenhouse before the cull. Some of the tiger/stripey tomatoes (left) ripened, none of the San Marzano plum tomatoes ripened (middle) and the Sungold cherry tomatoes continued to produce a steady stream of sweet ripe fruit.  These last are too small to chutney and will be brought into the warmth of the kitchen to continue ripening over the coming weeks.


Note to self:  "Start tomatoes from seed earlier next year!"

4 comments:

  1. It is so difficult to time thingd right isn't? The weather has to play along too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that is the "fun" of it. I'm growing Italian tomatoes in Scotland so I shouldn't really be surprised when they fail to ripen!

      Delete
  2. Apparently green tomatoes are nice fried - you dip them in milk and breadcrumbs first, I'm told. Haven't tried this myself, but might be worth a go. (I think I'd probably use egg instead of milk).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall a film by that title (Fried Green Tomatoes). After the chutney making I'll give it a go!

      Delete