Thursday 17 November 2016

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures

Problem: The brassica patch has been coming along nicely this year. One of the earliest to maturity was the red cabbage yielding a steady supply of solid canon ball sized heads.  But with other fare on offer supply has exceeded demand and the last red cabbage brought home has been loitering for too long in the vegetable basket.

Solution:  It's time to try sauerkraut, dummkopf!

So I've turned this:



Into this:


The process is simply to shred cabbage, add salt, and pack into a sterile jar.

Now it's a four day wait to let the fermentation process get under way and see what we have got.


In the meantime, just to keep my feet on the ground, I baked a sourdough loaf today. It won't last four days.




2 comments:

  1. We've had no red cabbage at all this year never mind a glut. Must do better next year. Like the look of that loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't grown any red cabbage this year. I do like it but I don't like the mess it makes of the stove when I cook it and I am the only one who likes it pickled so there never seems much point in growing any. Maybe I'll grow a couple just for me next year!!

    ReplyDelete