Saturday 12 April 2014

Toilet Roll Call

Since last summer I have been saving up toilet rolls (and kitchen roll tubes cut in two). 


These are my "root trainers" for this year.  There are quite a few.


I stand them in cell dividers in seed trays fill with compost, sow and cover with vermiculite.  This arrangement ensures enough air circulation between the tubes to stop mould becoming a problem.  Here's my first batch of the year in the propagator. Tomatoes, Chili, Cucumber, Celeriac.  From here on it's a rolling production line until the end of May


For the record I sowed my first early potatoes (Sharpes Express) at the plot today.  The broad beans have emerged and the garlic is looking all the better for a weed and feed.

7 comments:

  1. Our garlic and autumn onions are looking better than they have for a few years. Just hope it has been cold enough for the garlic to have formed clovers rather than just a large bulb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is a bit of a worry this year warm year - what lies beneath?

      Delete
  2. well that looks great Mal...I see you're going for celeriac again. I think I have given it up as a bad job!!! I still haven't sown my spuds yet...I could blame the fact that they haven't arrived yet...but even if they had I still haven't got the land sorted...there's always tomorrow though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm still not admitting defeat on the celeriac front: What a mug!

      By tradition you don't need to worry about potatoes until Good Friday.

      I've seen the work you've been putting in Tany.

      Delete
  3. Your disciplined and methodical approach appeals to my sense of order! I tried the toilet-roll tubes thing once, but all mine went very mouldy. I must have kept them too wet. You have obviously thought about avoiding this though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like "disciplined and methodical" so much nicer than "slow and steady". Thanks Mark. Yes air circulation is vital to combat mould.

      Delete
  4. I tried the toilet roll tubes too, but had the mould problem.

    Our tatties are in, but no broad beans yet.

    ReplyDelete