Sunday 27 April 2014

Plot Update - Half Way There

Today I built this year's carrot temple - I wouldn't grow carrots without the mesh to keep the root fly away. 


At the far end I've removed the forcing barrel from the rhubarb:


In between the two the ground is pretty clear (although there are 8 rows of potatoes under the soil in the foreground)


except for a double row of broad beans.  The carrot netting was over these until today.


Stepping further back takes in the carrot tent and beyond it the allium patch.


It's looking pretty green just now.



To complete the run to the other end there is a fifth patch which I am reserving for curcubits. I'm planning some squashes as well as the usual courgettes this year. (More about this later)


There are two more "rooms" on the other side of my internal path, both in need of some attention.  I will save them for another post once I've put my plans for them into action.

7 comments:

  1. I'm in need of a few more bricks if you have any to spare. So many uses on the plot from holding down netting to acting as a makeshift hammer.

    Your broad beans are in front of ours - have they been planted over winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have too agree with you about bricks, Martyn. And that's without mentioning paving, raised beds, bases for sheds and greenhouses....)

      On checking I see I planted the broad beans outdoors on 23rd February. Here's proof:
      http://malsedallotment.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/first-day-of-sowing.html

      Delete
  2. Things look at a similar stage to on our plot - have you transported our temple whilst we weren't looking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that very reassuring - and if you think I'm stealing your ideas just you wait until you see my deployment of WSF on the brassica patch!

      Delete
    2. No such thing as stealing ideas, Mal it's called sharing.

      Delete
  3. It's looking good Mal...I still have plenty to do but thave decided that this year I need to relax and enjoy it more...I grow for the love of it and the end produce...not to follow the books to the letter....by doing this I am finding my love for all things outdoors coming back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good! Agree with the above comment: bricks are super handy. Here's a thing; we're growing carrots for the first time this year. We've sown loads in a raised bed and they've germinated really well. I've just ordered a bunch of environmesh now, have a left it too late?!

    ReplyDelete