Wednesday 22 June 2022

First Orchid of the Year

 


First one



Then another



And then a whole host




The marsh orchids have arrived in the Pentland Hills. I love these plants, but not in an Agatha Christie way.  Most likely these are Heath Spotted Orchids Dactylorhiza maculats although they may be Broad-leaved Marsh-orchid Dactylorhiza majalis or a mixture.  I don't feel the need to rush to  nail the naming. Just now I am enjoying their reappearance  (The land where they grow was severely churned up by heavy machinery.  Just possibly this activity was a conservation measure carried out with approval from the relevant conservation body -  but I was worried they would disappear)

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! Where I work there are loads of bee orchids and pyramid orchids along with 1 or 2 rare varieties. Walking on the site at lunchtimes in Summer is pretty much the only thing I miss now I'm working from home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve only seen the darker purple orchids but it’s always a treat to spot them.

    ReplyDelete