Monday 15 February 2021

Spot The Gall

Recently I have been paying more attention to deformities in trees.  I would have called the the rough patches on this tree trunk 'galls' but it turns out they are burls or burrs depending on which side of the Atlantic you live.






Another tree in the same wood also has an impressive collection.


Casting back to an autumnal walk I thought this clumping of branches was a result of pollarding, or grazing cattle.  It is known as witches broom and, whatever the cause, is the tree's attempt to generate more root growth, albeit up in the air!


There is another impressive example on a silver birch just along the road.




Given the location pollution could be factor.


I have a lot to learn but I am looking forward to finding out more about these intriguing aberrations.

We are lucky to have a tiny remnant of mature woodland on our doorstep, saved from the developer by the steep gradient and now afforded the interest of a local group of enthusiasts.

Here is one of there recently erected information notices giving some background.









4 comments:

  1. This is what I love most about visiting Europe: history and nature. When I'm not there, I can read about it. There's a guy who writes good books about trees and walks. His name is Oliver and he has a long beard, I think. I can't remember. It's 4 o'clock in the morning. Anyway I enlarged the photo and found the information very interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oliver Rackham, I think. A real trailblazer.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting. We have ancient woodland nearby, I do particularly like beech because of leafy carpet (and the fungi found there)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ancient woodlands are becoming a rare commodity. I read recently that an ancient tree had been felled as it was in the path of HS2,. It had stood there hundreds of year and was cut down without a backward glance - sheer vandalism.

    ReplyDelete