Monday 9 November 2020

The Allotment in November

 


I think you can agree things are looking a bit forlorn on my visit to the allotment today.  I keep wondering  "Who is that"  before remembering that the sunflower is being left for the birds. It is all that is left of the beans and cucurbits (and I think it came in with the plants having originally come from the birdfood at home).

One area still very much in production is the "Other Roots" which is mostly given over to carrots (under environmesh netting) because we eat so many of them over the year and they taste so much better than any you can buy.  We haven't even finished harvesting half of them. as we pick them as we need them.  I do hope we will get away with leaving them in the ground over winter.  The net helps - and I will supplement that with straw if severe frosts are forecast. 

Carrots under netting

The rest of the "Other Roots" are parsnips and scorzonera squeezed in at the end.  These happily don't need protection.  Celeriac had to be squeezed elsewhere (with the cucurbits) as space had run out! 


Green tops of "Other Roots"

The Allium area only has leeks left. They have been intercropped with late lettuces, some of which are still on the go - along with the weeds.

Lettuces and Leeks



Harvested lettuces and leeks - and beetroot

Something else still on the go, by design, is curly endive - Pancalieri.  I tried these last year tying a string around each plant to blanche them.  It worked fine but some insects got wise to my plan and took up residence.  So I am being a bit more relaxed (lazy) this year and I have left the rosettes unrestrained.  They make great lettuce soup.



New this year is chicory.  Rossa di Traveso (I think) is the one that has worked out best.  Time will tell if they reach edible proportions.

Rossa di Traveso heads

A mention for the more traditional brassica patch.  The small plants are Spring Hero cabbages I am overwintering.  There's plenty broccoli, sprouts and kale for the winter too, provided the pigeons don't gain access under that net.

Brassica Patch

So even though it is looking murky and winter is approaching there is still the prospect of more to come from the allotment.

The view from the end

Now here's a song for my sunflower:







7 comments:

  1. Oh, I like that dancing show. Here's my sunflower song https://youtu.be/1YeYMD-fg8c

    Your climate is great for growing root crops, some of which are just names for me. For some reason roots never form, even ornamental onions are a bit difficult although short day ones work OK. Maybe it's cold as well as day length these root crops need. As for your multitude of brasses, if we have even the slightest of heat waves, they are gone. So I envy you your climate for roots and brassicas. Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. (And I thought I knew Glen Campbell's catalogue!) Scotland and brassicas were made for each other - raspberries too!

      Delete
  2. I thought that sunflower was a person in a yellow raincoat! I think we’ll,start harvesting leeks this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I! My harvest so far is restricted to those that formed a flowering stalk.

      Delete
  3. Our carrots are managing the weather so far although I think another wet spell and they might be in trouble. I haven't dug any parsnips yet, tops look good but that doesn't mean much does it. Our brassicas in general have done well this year. I've chickened out and tried some late lettuces in the greenhouse at home. I thought they'd be handier at home rather than the allotment in winter time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always adhere to the "No harvest until the first frost" rule for parsnips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That misty photo is a lovely shot of a November allotment, but it's great to see that there is so much more to come. Great video!

    ReplyDelete