Wednesday 10 July 2019

Indigenous Orchiding!?

Orchids in the wild 
 I had this post all lined up before visiting the 'Botanics' (officially the  Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh RBGE)  yesterday.

On recent visits to the Pentland Hills we have been delighted by the emergence through the grass of what I take to be the Northern Marsh Orchid (Dactylorhiza purpurella).  On emergence you can only get an inkling into the glory to come. 





Today I was delighted to spot a similar flower in captivity at the Botanics.  You can imagine my surprise when I checked out the label only to find this specimen was the Madieran Orchid!





It seems this one has got spotty leaves and an RHS Garden Merit award.  For my part it is the one up in the hills that I will treasure.


3 comments:

  1. They are lovely to see! We have masses of pyramid orchids and bee orchids where I work - so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild orchids are lovely. There are quite a lot on the cliff tops ar Flamborough Head. Not sure which they are though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had to stop my friend Peter clambering down the cliff at Filey Brigg to take pictures of Dactylorhiza

      Delete