Tuesday 19 February 2019

Green Manure Update

I have tried three green manures over this winter and they are all still standing*

Grazing Rye



Winter Tares


Clover

These patches are due to be planted up with (1) peas and beans, (2) potatoes and (3) brassicas respectively.  I now have to decide whether to a. vigorously dig them in b. mow and mulch or c. cover with weed suppressant fabric.   My current thinking is 1b, 2a, 3c.  This is partially dictated by the amount of organic mulch I currently have available.

*Cue song:


5 comments:

  1. Martyn strimmed down our grazing rye and dug it in. He also dug in the other patches of green manure, The grazing rye gave off a very distinctive smell when strimming - nothing like grass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to sniff my grass now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, now we're all wondering what it smells like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes we use arachis as green manure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Would they produce peanuts if left to mature?

      Delete