Thursday 5 August 2021

Meet My New Friends...

Kitchen Compost, Coir and Perlite:


I am determined to make my own seed growing medium and potting compost after my recent bad experience with commercial peat free products.


The coir comes in a dry brick which is easy to rehydrate.


The kitchen compost  just needs to be sieved.


Then it is a simple mixing job.  After searching the internet I went for 2 scoops compost, 2 parts coir and 1 part perlite.




Now I am ready for my end of season sowings. At least I am confident that there are only healthy ingredients in my mix.  I feel sure that I won't be buying any proprietary mix next year, which is admittedly a leap of faith at this early stage.


 

4 comments:

  1. I don’t blame you for going this route after seeing your previous post. Still shocked by the instruction to wear gloves with a compost you’re using for veg growing. Horrible. Really hope your new mix works out and I reckon it will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been an early end of season for the affected plants. But next season is already underway with some autumn sowing.

      Delete
  2. Will you be able to make enough? Did you see on Beechgrove that the coir compost needs care when watering?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prompt. I have now seen the programme. (They have enlivened their presentation since I last caught it) It is clear that some adjustments are required and less watering is one of them. Not always such a bad thing. I have already sown some winter veg and will update progress here.

      Delete