Tuesday 15 December 2020

Oh Oh - We're in Trouble

 


Context is everything when it comes to raptors.
This lady sparrowhawk was sitting in the plum tree where we hang the bird feeders...



...and had already feasted on a kill.




While I agree with Monty Don on most things (garden centres and peat compost for example) there is a limit to my tolerance when it comes to predating on small songbirds. One is enough! So out I went to photograph it away.


For light relief I headed off to the allotment to harvest carrots. Some of them are whoppers and only a few are forked.






I am about halfway through the crop now. The net was originally to keep the carrot fly away but now serves as frost protection.


For the record, here is the first parsnip of the year - and that's my first celeriac, destined for a warming Winter Casserole of Vegetables.

Now a return of the music in honour of our visitor:




2 comments:

  1. I feel the same when a sparrow hawk visits but I am always torn between seeing the bird and fretting about their feeding habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been dive bombed by a sparrowhawk in our garden in the past. I think it mistook my hat for something interesting!

      Delete