Tuesday 20 October 2020

Wild in the Country

Fly agaric

The season for fungi is here for all to see.  I never pick (let alone eat) any.  Not having the expertise to identify more than one or two I would have no confidence that I wasn't poisoning myself and those near and dear enough to share a meal with.  When it comes to threats to life I like to keep it simple. I do however admire from afar and try to expand my knowledge.  So I am enjoying walks and the fungi are putting on a show just as the flowers are being snuffed out by the cold.  Here's a woodland flower (as you can tell from the flash being required) that I just had to learn about.  





It turns out to be Yellow Pimpernel (Lysmachia nemorum).  I can see the similarity to Scarlet Pimpernel,  except that likes open spaces and is famous for only opening when it is sunny whereas Yellow lives in the shady woods!


Back at the school it turns out that the council has cut down the wildflower meadow.  Not a problem at this time of year but we will need to reinstate the metal stakes and rope demarking the area.  (Someone pinched the bright blue rope that was used for this purpose). 


Wildflower Meadow at it's longest

 









6 comments:

  1. I’m exactly the same. You’ll have to make sure that the council don’t devastate your wild flower area come next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be reinstating the post and rope markers. (Someone made off with the rope - can you believe it?)

      Delete
  2. I didn’t see any fly agarics on my recent visit to the woods. Shame, they are so special.
    Great song choice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know your suggestions for a better loaf of bread turned out well. Next loaf was much better. I added 1/2 teaspoon salt making 1 1/2 teaspoons in all, I reduced the yeast from 1 tablespoon to 2 teaspoons and used the smaller 1 1/2 pound setting on the bread machine which changes the rising time. Thank you so much, Mr. Bread Expert. You don't use teasppons and pound measurements over there, do you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got the result you wanted. Since 1971 metrification changed pounds and ounces to kilograms and grams, legally but not in the minds of older users. Teaspoons and tablespoons avoided standardisation.

      Delete