Thursday 29 October 2020

Freedom for Worms





Freedom !

Looking back I realise that I started my "worm farm" back in April 2019 See  Worm Farm Update.  It has been located in the garden shed and survived a winter (and two summers).  Today I dismantled it and liberated the residents... to join those already in the compost heap. 

I did feel bad about keeping the worms in a closed system where there was no escape, however the community seemed to be thriving so it can't have been that bad.   Incidentally the reservoir did not turn into a drowning pool as worms can survive under water for considerable periods of time.  

Maintenance consisted of topping up their food supply and draining off the liquor from the reservoir at intervals.  This worm pee was used as a liquid feed and I as much, if not moore than I needed, particularly now at the end of the growing season.

So if it was so successful, why am I dismantling it?  (I hear you ask). 

  •  It was after all just dreamed up to make use of some environmentally not very nice packaging.
  • There was a build up of white pot worms for a while that worried me.  (The more familiar reds did prevail in the long run.)
  • Tucked away in the shed (and being in a closed system)  I had to remember not to forget to feed them at least every few weeks,
  • I already have another worm farm.  It is called the compost heap, This is a dalek style one.  Most importantly it is open to the soil at the base, and the worms are free to come and go as they please.  Admittedly I lose the liquid fertilizer through the soil, but that is the only negative I can think of.  It looks after itself and is very forgiving of holidays, the seasons, and my memeory lapses.
So, as they say, "a no brainer".  Liberate myself by liberating the worms!




 





4 comments:

  1. I’m sure those wrigglers are happier in a compost bin. I do love to see all the lovely fresh red ones when I open the lid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think that the worms mind where they are as long as they have enough food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food, yes. Also temperature, light and vibrations affect them!!!

      Delete