Wednesday 20 June 2018

Living Roof - Recycled Plastic


My approach to gardening has been as an avid vegetable grower.  The dictum has been: If you can't eat it - don't grow it.  So you might detect a bit of self consciousness about this post but also the enthusiasm of the convert.  The latest project I have been involved with has got Sedum, Saxifrage, Sempervivum, Ajuga....  Nothing you would want to eat but each ideal for a living green roof. Ok it doesn't look that green yet, but all the trays are second use supermarket food trays, so there are green credentials built into the design. If any module fails or overgrows it's neighbours, it can easily be removed, replanted or pruned and replaced.  The whole thing sits atop the bug school bug hotel and, I should mention, was planted up by the School Eco Group.  It will add an extra dimension to the 'hotel' in attracting pollinating winged insects.   


Insect Hotel with Living Roof:



Now what song could possibly suit this post?



4 comments:

  1. I’ve used sedum and sempervivum as a living lid on top of our pond filter chamber. The trouble is birds tend to enjoy pulling the plants out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be watching out for that then. Thanks Sue.

      Delete
  2. I so love these plants. I read somewhere that you can eat houseleeks, like globe artichokes - but I've never tried...

    ReplyDelete