Wednesday 4 October 2017

The Lesser of Two Evils


Before the Chop


After Haircut

I always grow a short row of Jerusalem Artichoke.  They never fail,  look after themselves and provide a delicious soup early in the calendar year when stores of potatoes and onions are running down and  there is not much else ready to be cropped. The tubers keep quite happily underground having their own antifreeze which maybe also puts off pests.  Because they grow tall I try to grow them somewhere where they won't overshadow other crops.  That tends to be at the end or side of a bed.  Truly this is a marginal crop. 

Well this year the Jerusalem Artichoke have found conditions ideal and put on a bid for world domination. They have grown to 10ft high.  Aside from the light issue this is a cause for concern when the autumn winds arrive. If they go over it is from the base of the stem. Aside from the disruption to the root system they can do a bit of damage to surrounding crops (leeks in this case).  So looking at the forecast last weekend I took the loppers to the plot and chopped 3ft off each central stem.  I hate doing this to a perfectly healthy row of plants but logic has to overcome emotion where food production is concerned.  6ft plants will continue to photosynthesise until the frosts kill off the leaves.  Felled plants would stop growing now.

I also took the top off the runner bean wigwam but left the sweetcorn to take its chances.  Visiting the plot on Tuesday I think I made the right call.  One or two side shoots had been stripped off the Jerusalem Artechoke but the main stems were all standing proud.  The sweetcorn took a bit of a hit and I gathered mini cobs while clearing the damaged plants. Curiously the second planting of peripheral smaller plants were more affected than the central tall plants - which I still have hopes of eating from).  So despite the misgivings I think I made the right call.

Sweetcorn Damage

Baby Sweetcorn?


Remaining Sweetcorn with Artichokes behind

Cruel to be Kind


6 comments:

  1. We had a row of Jerusalem artichokes at one time forming a boundary between two plots. They grew well over 6 feet tall each year and as I never seemed to be able to dig out all the tubers they started taking over. It took several years to clear the ground of tubers. I haven't dared to plant any since then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I should have included in my original post: "Rule Number 1. Dig them ALL out every year by March and on the same day replant 6 tubers only in a new location. I wouldn't put the tubers in my compost bin either" Also fair to mention that even after long cooking they will give you wind! I wouldn't eat them raw as some recipes suggest, but the soup is a seasonal treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a Jerusalem artichoke but do not have room for them in the garden but you never know I might still make room. I guess this is the Edinburgh version of the Chelsea chop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha! Yes it is the nearest I get to Chelsea!

      Delete
  4. Have your artichokes ever flowered? I understand that they are supposed to have sunflower like flowers but ours never did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they have. I think it was a dry year but I haven't managed to turn up any photos. They are definitely of the same family as sunflowers but not as dramatic. In some parts they call Jerusalem artichokes "Sun chokes" !

      Delete