Tuesday 6 August 2019

Peas and Beans

Vegetable growers should never take a holiday in July.  This year that's exactly what I did, as you no doubt will have gathered from my previous two posts.

On my return to the vegetable plot there is a lot of greenery, and not all of it weeds.  Here the rather neglected end of the plot that I concentrated on today:


Back row (left to right) there is the official Jerusalem artichoke patch, broad beans, the unofficial (last year's) Jerusalem artichoke patch and then the Runner bean wigwam.  In front there is sweetcorn, peas and French beans.  There is also a rogue cucurbit - probably a self sown Sharks Fin Melon on the right now scrambling all over the supports for the tall peas! I have removed the broad beans after stripping them of their full pods but left the cucurbit to see what happens.


Peas pods ready for picking

French beans, short peas, tall peas (Alderman) with broad beans behind
 I am well pleased with the runner beans now moving from flowering to podding.



We will have too many for our own consumption and will be freezing them and passing them on to neighbours.  That is with one wigwam so you can imagine my astonishment to come across the following scenario at Tintinhull Gardens a week ago





That's going to produce a lot of beans!

Tintinhull Gardens




4 comments:

  1. I didn't know you could grow sweet corn that far north. Is it productive every year? I like the green and productive plot pix - makes me feel more comfortable with my not photogenic garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen many beautiful pictures from your garden, Jane.
      As with tomatoes, we attempt to grow sweetcorn every year just to prove it can be done. Most years it is worth it, although some years it is a waste of time!

      Delete
  2. Ours was an unintended allotment break although we did manage to escape the house once or twice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only safe time to go away is the Winter :-) Having said that, you seem to have timed your return pretty well for all that harvesting! Love the pic of all the wigwams

    ReplyDelete