Thursday 28 February 2019

Winter's Last Fanfare?

Purple Sprouting Broccoli - Rudolph
 This is one of four plants in the school garden.  I am surprised that it doing so well.  Last autumn an overenthusiastic child mistook it for a weed and uprooted it.  It was quite adolescent at about 18 inches high but I decided to retrieve it from the compost heap and plant it again:  brassicas are transplanted when very young so why not give it a try.  All the same I am gobsmacked that this has done best of all out of four specimens.

Some other overwinterers are also thriving in the balmy conditions

Winter Purslane



Land Cress
 There is some less voluminous lambs lettuce in there too.

And bouncing back, after looking very bedraggled over the winter months


Leaf Beet




4 comments:

  1. Maybe the shock tactic worked for the broccoli. I’m not going to try itb though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a thought - when I replanted this I also supported it with a well driven stake. Maybe it liked the rock solid support.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is a real treat at this time of year.

      Delete