Friday 26 October 2018

Green Manures


I have been making an effort to use green manures this year. It is so easy to miss the boat, and I will admit I have been a bit late in sowing.  

Where the alliums were (and you can still see the winter leeks) I have sown Winter Tares:



Winter Tares
And where I lifted the potatoes Grazing Rye is recently germinated:

Grazing Rye
Where the peas were I sowed red clover a few weeks ago.  As they were slow to germinate the weeds grew up and I have done my best to remove the groundsel, chickweed and speedwell to give it a chance.  (The flowers in the foreground were planted out after the broad beans.)


Clover - plus weeds and flowers!
 One reason for my renewed efforts with green manures is my concern that weed suppressant fabric, while wonderful for suppressing weeds, is bad for worms and soil health if used for more than the short term.  I will continue to use it for the brassica patch from planting out time to harvest, and short term ground preparation elsewhere, but lift it at the end of the season.  Step in green manure!




2 comments:

  1. The problem with grazing rye is that it looks like the grass has just been left to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's why I drilled them in rows!

      Delete