Friday 13 July 2018

Full House?

Brassicas growing away

The allotment is flush with produce despite the drought conditions. What targeted watering I have done has produced results where I want without encouraging the weeds.

Globe artichokes - Just one plant
Lush Legumes


Peas please


Blueberries starting to ripen

Coy Carrots 

Potato Patch

Riotous Raspberries - bumper crop this year.
But there are still gaps that I haven't got around to filling.  Just as well as I have a programme of summer/autumn sowing I want to follow this year.  The beauty is that the weeds have left the bare patches bare (pretty much - lets not get to carried away and forget all weeding)

Bare patch between salads and sweetcorn

Alliums looking a bit sparse after cropping autumn planted onions and garlic
It has been extraordinarily dry, but the crops seem to have persevered.  Curiously the one crop that has refused to perform is courgettes and squashes,  and this despite preferential watering!  I'm hoping the ones that have survived have time to play catchup.



2 comments:

  1. Shall I send you some courgettes? Do you harvest the globe artichokes or grow them as ornamentals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pass on the courgettes, thanks. (There are four fruiting in the school garden and 5 weeks until the pupils return!) I picked all the artichokes but two small ones just after taking the picture. With nine to experiment with I am bound to figure out how best to prepare them for the table, you would think.

      Delete