Tuesday 20 March 2018

Smell the Flowers - First Bee Sighting of 2018



I went to the plot to dig carrots today and to my surprise the sun was shining. There is a floral border at the entrance to the site and I was again surprised to spot some flying insect activity.


 This bee was hard at work.  And it wasn't alone for long.

New Arrival



Room for Two?

I am guessing they are bees not hoverflies.  They must be pollinators as they were busy collecting pollen, as you can see in the pictures, and stashing it in the baskets on their legs. As for which type - my first guess was going to be the "Early Bumblebee" but they seem to be a lot fatter and fuzzier. On reflection I guess someone has a honey beehive nearby. Whatever variety they are they are they are most cheering to see.


Only one song springs to mind (even though they are not roses - the sentiment is there)





4 comments:

  1. Such brave little bees to venture out at the moment. They look like honey bees to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they do look like honeybees. They seem to be arguing over that crocus :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they're Honey Bees. Funnily enough, I also had my first sighting of them on my allotment slightly south of you Mal - in Alnwick, Northumberland, that very same day. It does the heart good to see signs of life returning to the plot....even if we have had nowt but non-stop rain since 30th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GK I've started seeing bumble bees since, but not caught any on camera... not least because my camera is bust.

      Delete