Sunday 21 April 2013

Six of the Best - Schoolboy Errors

This year the growing season has been delayed but already I have a catalogue of schoolboy errors:

1. Forgetting that I had planted jerusalem artechokes in early March I dug several of them up in mid April while preparing the ground for the other roots. I only remembered where I had planted them when I spotted one and thought: "That's a funny stone!"  I should have left clear markers when I planted them.



2.Sowing autumn sowings and then changing the rotational planting scheme - I now have a tent of turnip rooted chervil where I want to grow potatoes.  My expanded soft fruit cage has pushed my rotation further on than I had anticipated. I might just dig them over as despite meeting the requirement to sow the seeds before winter frosts,  they haven't appeared yet and they require netting to keep the root fly off. Sometimes it dawns on me that some crops are not popular on allotments for a reason.

Marooned chervil net
3. Sowing sweetcorn in modules - they need root space. Instead of  a slow delayed germination they took off like rockets in no time.

Sweetcorn


4.Sowing sweetcorn indoors too early - they need warmth  - and open ground. Maybe it will warm up soon.

5.Digging manure into the planned carrot patch - no excuse, it would fork the roots so I will have to  sow them elsewhere. I did remember mid way through, so will be able to adjust my planting scheme without upsetting the rotation.

6.Expecting the cutworm to leave the broad bean shoots alone - how dumb is that! I guess I will just have to plant three times as many as I need to allow for the decimation. That's unless you know of an approved organic way of eradicating them. Today I have sown direct to plug the gaps.

Spot the broad bean!


As my school reports invariably said: "Could do better"

20 comments:

  1. OH dear! WE start our broad beans in pots or modules and plant out - our main bean and pea enemy is the weevil that nibbles notches in the leaves. If the plant have got going before planting out they have a better chance of outgrowing the damage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't make it clear but I start mine in modules too. They were outgrowing the root space. As you can see I had wire to discourage pigeons, but they were so lush and green that the bugs just couldn't resist...

      And yes pea weevil cuts notches in my peas and beans, but do not kill them.

      Delete
  2. Life is full of challenges. I bet your school report said "Will need to work hard in the future if he is to be successful...", and you HAVE worked hard, that's evident.
    Your sweetcorn will be struggling if this year's Summer is anything like last year's. It really needs warmer weather than we generally get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - the sweetcorn is an experiment grown more in hope than expectation - just in case we have a freak Scottish heatwave!

      Delete
  3. This made me smile Mal...and it's nice to see I'm not the only one who makes the errors I have made in the past too. Hopefully the weather will warm up quick enough to get those sweetcorn in the ground...not to quick though as it's one of the things I held off on and mine are only just beginning to sprout!!

    Isn't it great to have some decent weather though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is good to hear of error that others have made similar to your own lol. It shouldn't be perhaps - but it is!
    I sowed Sweetcorn way too early in a heated propagator then when they were romping away I decided I needed the propagator for other stuff so expected the sweetcorn to just suddenly survive in the polytunnel. Guess how that turned out! I have planted more though - unheated as I ususally do - and they're happy and healthy.
    Do you plant yours outside? I have never tried that, I'm too chicken. I grow em in the tunnel.
    Scottish heatwave? Well, funny you should say that because I've checked out loads of weather station predictions and they all say the same - it's gonna be hotter here than in England! Yay!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda - growing sweetcorn north of Inverness ? I reckon that's an Olympian achievement, polytunnel or no.

      Delete
    2. It grows really well too and tastes so much better than anything you get at the supermarket. I'll get piccies of it this year!

      Linda

      Delete
    3. You've encouraged me to try to keep them on, Linda.

      Delete
  5. Wasn't thinking of sowing my sweetcorn for another couple of weeks yet. Always sow in modules and transplant out towards the end of May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first year I have presumed to try sweetcorn (and probably the last)

      Delete
  6. We all do things like that. I usually panic this time of year, thinking of all the work I want to do, and then I make mistakes. Being flexible is a good thing, and creative thinking too! Hope it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your philosophy Kelli. I guess you are right: Whatever happens everything will be bursting at the seams in a month or two!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How I love the mistakes ! We all make them but do we own up to them ... No ! Love someone who does ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Jane. Owning up (to yourself) and remembering from year to year are the two problems. Making the same mistakes over and over is one definition of hell!

      Delete
  9. Mistakes are great as we learn from them and that's how we become better gardeners....also mistakes sometimes work out better lol so don't become downhearted

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks njgf. We have the same gardening philosophy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your blog. I like your sense of humor and being able to laugh at yourself. Gardeners need that. We all make schoolboy mistakes - rather often! I will be back for more from your blog. Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for calling by and commenting, Jack. Lake Michigan looks stunning on your blog!

      Delete